Friday, December 5, 2008

Whispers in the Sand



Well, here's the final version of this song (at least for this course). I've decided to call it 'Whispers in the Sand'. On the whole I'm pretty pleased with it, and, despite the extra work it caused me, am glad that I went with this new material rather than the older stuff. I hope that some of the later material departs sufficiently from the starting cliche to other people's ears.

Despite what I said in my previous post about the song being near a natural conclusion, I found it hard to find a natural way to actually make it end there. Really, when I think back on the stuff that I've written in past, I've often had a hard time with endings. At least half of them sound too abrupt to me, or like something else is wrong, and quite a few have no real ending at all; I just stopped writing them at some point.

I think, in the end, this song was simply calling to be longer that it was. I just didn't have time to take it in that direction. I really would like to try to do so in the future, but we'll see if I end up getting around to it. At this point, I'd be pleased to have some time away from the song after all the work I've put into it lately.

No comments: